Code of Ethics
I am a proud member of the League of Landscape Photographers and as such, behave in accordance with the following Code of Ethics:
- I inform myself about all rules and regulations relating to photography when visiting a natural area or public attraction.
- I follow proper etiquette by educating myself and adhering to the principles of Leave No Trace.
- I aim for authenticity by photographing plants and animals in their natural habitat engaging in their normal behaviours.
- I help to protect the environment by picking up trash I find when in the field.
- I do not knowingly damage living trees or plants in order to take a photograph. I wait patiently rather than attempt to influence an animal’s behaviour or posture.
- I protect nature by not broadcasting the location of a fragile area, plant or animal. I remove GPS data from my images before sharing them with others.
- I avoid stopping to photograph if it is likely to start a chain reaction resulting in other visitors crowding the area. I find another time or place to continue photographing.
- I ask permission before photographing an identifiable person.
- I treat all people with respect.
- I am patient and courteous with non-photographers visiting a scene. I am creative and can adjust my expectations of the images I planned to make. I am open to new ideas as they present themselves to me.
- I am aware of my position and how it may interfere with the ability of the photographers and non-photographers around me to enjoy a scene.
- If someone wanders into my scene, I am courteous and will wait for them to move. I will consider adjusting my own position, or kindly asking them to move when they are ready.
- If I see someone violating the Code of Ethics, I will consider talking with them about the possible effects of their behaviour. I will only do so if I do not perceive any threat to my personal safety. As an alternative, and if their behaviour is particularly egregious, I will consider documenting the situation and reporting them to the appropriate authorities.
- I adopt this Code of Ethics and strive to adhere to these important principles.
- I am an ambassador of ethical conduct in the industry through my own behaviour and by sharing these principles with other photographers and the public.
- I educate myself about the weather, terrain, culture and potential hazards before visiting a new area.
- I am always forthcoming about my post-processing and refrain from representing my photographs as something they are not.